Yvonne Kason MD, MEd, CCFP, FCFP is a Canadian Family Physician and Transpersonal MD-Psychotherapist, (retired), author of 6 books, public speaker, originator of the term “Spiritually Transformative Experience” (STE), and STE Researcher.
Dr. Kason has had five Near-Death Experiences, and multiple STE experiences. She was previously on faculty at the University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine. She is an internationally renowned medical expert in the field of Spiritually Transformative Experiences, Near-Death Experiences, and Kundalini Awakenings, who is in demand as a media resource and keynote speaker.
In 1994, Dr. Kason originated and coined the phrase, “Spiritually Transformative Experiences”, (STEs), in her ground-breaking book, A Farther Shore. She defined STE as an umbrella term to include diverse spiritual experiences including: Mystical Experiences; Kundalini/Spiritual Energy Awakenings; Psychic Experiences of all types; Near-Death Experiences; Other Death-Related STEs; and Inspired Creativity. Dr. Kason elaborated on all types of Spiritually Transformative Experiences in her more recent books, Farther Shores: (2000, 2008), and Touched by the Light: Exploring Spiritually Transformative Experiences, (2019).
After a powerful out-of-body and mystical/white light Near-Death Experience in a 1979 medevac plane crash, Dr. Kason went on a quest to understand spiritual and paranormal experiences happening to people today. This later propelled her, in 1990, to become the first Canadian medical doctor to specialize in the counseling and research of persons having Near-Death Experiences and other Spiritually Transformative Experiences.
A pioneer in the field, in 1990 she co-founded the Kundalini Research Network, and in 2000, Dr. Kason co-founded the Spirituality in Health-Care Network.
November 8, 2003, Dr. Yvonne Kason suffered a serious Traumatic Brain Injury and Near-Death Experience in a slip and fall accident, and subsequently became disabled. Despite intensive neuro-rehabilitation she was no longer able to practice medicine, public speak, or write books. She retired from the practice of medicine in 2006.
Much to Dr. Kason’s surprise and delight, on February 24, 2016, she experienced “a miracle” healing, while deeply meditating at the Self-Realization Fellowship (SRF) meditation retreat, in Encinitas, California. With an eruption of inner light in the center of her brain, she had a dramatic spontaneous brain healing. In the first year after this sudden healing she wrote the first draft of two new books, Touched by the Light (published 2019), and Soul Lessons from the Light (published 2022).
After her brain healing in 2016, Dr. Kason resumed writing, public speaking, and volunteer work on non-profit Boards focused on raising global awareness about Spiritually Transformative Experiences and our true spiritual nature. In 2019, Dr. Yvonne Kason was elected President of IANDS the International Association for Near-Death Studies (2019 to 2020). In 2019, she also co-founded and now continues to lead “Toronto Awakenings Sharing Group”.
In 2020, Dr. Yvonne Kason founded Spiritual Awakenings International (SAI), a non-profit educational organization, in collaboration with founder Robert Bare PhD. Spiritual Awakenings International’s mission is to raise awareness globally about Spiritually Transformative Experiences of all types, to promote networking and sharing between like-minded groups and individuals, and to be an information resource and safe-harbor for STE Experiencers. In 2021, Dr. Kason led SAI to launch annual SAI online conferences, and launch the popular Spiritual Awakenings International YouTube Channel, sharing videos of all SAI presentations to further spread STE awareness globally.
Currently, Dr. Yvonne Kason is the active President of Spiritual Awakenings International. She is also writing books and research articles, and appears regularly as an NDE and STE expert speaker and featured presenter on radio and TV talk-shows, international podcasts, documentaries, and on other media. Dr. Kason has been recognized for her pioneering and groundbreaking work coining and raising awareness about Spiritually Transformative Experiences, as an Honoree on the Spiritual Awakenings International Circle of Honor.
Dr. Yvonne Kason is a mother and grandmother, and a devoted long-time practitioner of yoga meditation. She speaks three languages, English, German, and French. Dr. Kason resides in Toronto, Canada, and enjoys snowbirding in Encinitas, California and Florida, USA.
- Yvonne Kason. Soul Lessons from the Light: How Spiritually Transformative Experiences Changed My Life. Author’s Choice Press, iUniverse Inc., Bloomington, IN, 2022.
- Yvonne Kason. Touched by the Light: Exploring Spiritually Transformative Experiences. Dundurn Press, Toronto, 2019.
- Yvonne Kason. Farther Shores: Exploring how Near-Death, Kundalini and Mystical Experiences can Transform Ordinary Lives. HarperCollins Canada, Toronto, 2000; and Author’s Choice Press, iUniverse Inc., Bloomington, IN, 2008.
- Yvonne Kason. L’Autre Rive: Comment les experiences de mort imminente et autres phenomenes extraordinaires peuvent changer votre vie. Editions de Mortagne, Boucherville, PQ, Canada, 1996. [French translation of A Farther Shore.] (out of print)
- Yvonne Kason. A Farther Shore: How Near-Death and Other Extra-ordinary Experiences can change Ordinary Lives. HarperCollins Canada, Toronto, 1994.(out of print)
- T. Degler and Yvonne Kason. Liebe, Grenzen, und Konsequenzen: Erziehung mit Herz und Disziplin. Knaur Press, Berlin, Germany, 1993. [German translation of Love, Limits and Consequences.](out of print)
- R. Buckman, and Yvonne Kason. How to Break Bad News: A Guide for Health Care Professionals. University of Toronto Press, Toronto, 1992; and Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, Maryland, 1992.
- T. Degler, and Yvonne Kason. Love, Limits and Consequences: A positive practical approach to kids and discipline. Summerhill Press, Toronto, 1990.(out of print)
- Marjorie Woollacott PhD, Yvonne Kason MD, Russell Park PhD. “Investigation of the phenomenology, physiology and impact of spiritually transformative experiences – kundalini awakening.” Explore, electronic publication. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.explore.2020.07.005, July 2020.
- Garg, R. Buckman, Yvonne Kason MD. “Teaching medical students how to break bad news.” CMAJ, April 15, 1997; 156(8): 1159-1164.
- Yvonne Kason MD. “The Modern Kundalini Hypothesis: A Bio-Psycho-Spiritual Model of Transformation of Consciousness – An Explanation of Anomalous Experiences”, TREAT Annual Conference Proceedings, Virginia Beach, Spring 1994.
- Yvonne Kason MD. “Near Death Experiences and Kundalini Awakening: Exploring the Links”, Journal of Near Death Studies, 12(3) Spring, 1994. pp143-157.
- Robert Turner MD, Bonnie Greenwell PhD, Yvonne Kason MD, Kundalini: Energies of Transformation, Chapter within “Spiritual Emergence Network’s Certification Program Training Manual in Spiritual Emergence Syndromes”, Spiritual Emergence Network, Soquel, California, 1993/1994.
Spiritual Awakenings International: www.spiritualawakeningsinternational.org
Spiritual Awakenings International YouTube Channel: Spiritual Awakenings International – YouTube
Toronto Awakenings Sharing Group: https://torontoawakenings.org/
Spirituality in Health-Care Network: https://www.spiritualityinhealthcare.net/
Facebook: (20+) Yvonne Kason | Facebook